SUP Migration WUHandler Error CWuaHandler::SetCategoriesForStateReportingExclusion

Just want to put this up in case anyone else run in to this issue. I had to test migrated WSUS and SUP role from my Primary site server to its own standalone server, so I could complete the same task in production.

After the migration all updates showed as unknown for all devices. I check the update deployment log and WUAHandler.log under c:\Windows\CCM and the update scan started but just sat at  the below log output

Assignment({968F78AA-AE13-495C-83D9-74920944C702}) already in progress state (AssignmentStateDetecting). No need to evaluate

sup2

When I checked the WUAHandler log I could see the below but the site never registered the new WSUS server.

CWuaHandler::SetCategoriesForStateReportingExclusion called with {GUDI } for bundles

I checked the general bits like the site status, component status and wsyncmgr.log all where green and working correctly. I then checked a few post online and most pointed to a Content version / MinSourceVersion miss match issue from the WSUS DB.

I checked this and my content version was the same as in MinSourceVersion so that was not the issue.  I then had a look at the Window update registry key on the clients to see if the new WSUS was registered. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

It wasn’t 😦

Finally had a look boundary (Should have done this first ) and turns out I was a bit forgetful and didn’t add the new site server to the boundary group’s so no client’s where able to see the new SUP server.

Once I added to all boundary groups and did an update scan cycle all updates started to show a few hours later and the WUAHanlder log now showed the WSUS connection.

sup3

yay it’s all fixed 🙂

Point to take away, always add new site servers to boundary groups first 🙂

 

One thought on “SUP Migration WUHandler Error CWuaHandler::SetCategoriesForStateReportingExclusion

  1. Thanks for this. It got me out of a tight spot.

    Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a ConfigMgr primary site not configured to deliver to devices on VPN, I was having trouble understanding why devices on one VPN subnet (Geo site A) were receiving Windows updates and devices on another VPN subnet (Geo site B) weren’t. Site B’s boundary was contained in a boundary group that did not have the SUP as a reference.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s